Tuesday, April 3, 2012

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb – The Month In Review

Ah, March!  You know the old saying, “In like a lion…” but in this case, it’s no reference to the weather, although the weather has been nothing short of bizarre.  No, for me, the month started off with a flurry of activity, yes like a lion, hear me roar…and ended in a lull, baaaa.

There was the NoNaMé meeting at the beginning of the month where we continued discussion of the Route 66 project.  We also had show-n-tell results from our “Sketch to Art Quilt” challenge.  I had one piece created from the sketch of another group member (Tree of Life, below), and one from my own sketch.  I submitted the second to Quilting Arts Magazine (which inspired the group challenge) and was accepted as a finalist!  The piece has been mailed off and will be considered for publication in the magazine, exhibited in a quilt show, or possibly featured on their website.  The second time is just as fun as the first!


Tree of Life, Sketch to Art Quilt
I also brought Pod #3 for show-n-tell, which I finished toward the end of February.  At last, now that I have three of them, I can call them a “series.”  And, there are more to come, just to make it official, if nothing else.


Pod #3
Mid-March there was Quilters’ Day Out, a fun gathering of the area quilting guilds, along with a few vendors and speakers.  I gave a presentation, essentially a PowerPoint trunk show, of my art quilts.  The emphasis this time was on “Imagination at Work.”  Feedback from those who attended was positive.

The Kentucky Artisan Center’s “About Face” exhibit also opened in March.  My “Pavel Deciding” piece is in that show, so I went for the opening.  It was a fun event with those artists in attendance speaking a little bit about their works, then there was mingling.  It was great to see the diversity of media and art from around the state, plus getting to interact with other artists.  It can be too easy sometimes to find yourself cocooned in your own media or circle of artists.  Speaking of March weather, it was one of those beautiful days with a clear blue sky, so the drive was very nice.

One weekend, a few NoNaMé members got together to review ideas and processes for the Route 66 project.  Mostly we just visited and then went out for a nice lunch.  And then came the lamb, I suppose; my art quilt creativity just sort of came to a lull, baaaa.  Sure, I’ve filled the time with fabric and yarn dying, and creating a new silk screen, but no sewing.  It’s not as if the ideas haven’t been coming to me, and it’s not that I’ve been so busy with too many other things.  Maybe it’s just an early spring break, who knows…or, maybe it really is about the weather.  We’ve moved from bizarre (cold mornings, too-warm nights, overnight snow that quickly melted by noon, tornado warnings, and thunderstorms) to truly spring-like.  If the weather is going to be a distraction, at least it’s a wonderful one!  The motivation will come along soon enough.

Snow...and Blue Skies!


No comments:

Post a Comment