Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Root 66

Pod #4 is now complete.  It has received such reviews as, “What is that? A demented beet?” or “Is that some kind of crazy turnip?”  No one has mentioned “radish” yet, but that’s surely next.  Really, it’s not meant to be anything in particular, besides Pod #4, but the “leaf” structure and general shape do suggest a root vegetable, even though the surface design is nothing less than exotic and not root-like at all.

The curious thing is that people tend to want art to be something, or mean something, or have a bigger meaning.  I guess that’s just natural as we strive to connect, understand, and find meaning in our everyday lives.  And, I’m sure that’s why art is subjective, meaning one thing to one person based on how they see it and their personal experiences, and something different to another person with their own frame of reference.  Ah, a root by any other name…could just be a pod….


May also saw the completion of the Route 66 piece done in my “fast art” style.  I didn’t work from a picture, so I’m hoping there’s some similarity to the landscape of Arizona (having never been there myself).  I did research the lizard, which is a collared lizard, and learned they live in eastern Arizona, although I’m not sure Saguaro cacti live in that part of the state…we’ll just call that “artistic license.”

There are plenty of other ideas up in the air and lots of recent inspiration.  Even I am curious as to what my next project will be.  Let’s see, there’s an art-inspired sculpture, or the evolution of a  larger “signature color” piece for NoNaMé, or the collaborative LAFTA pieces…or maybe I should just stay rooted in Route 66 with the additional ideas I have for that.  So many options, so many possibilities…couldn’t be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment